Stuck for a bit of midweek clean eating inspo? I decided to share this strawberry flavoured protein ball recipe with you guys because they’re genuinely delicious and I would reach for them before something ‘bad’. Filled with superfood’s like maca & goji berries, these are 100% irresistible, you might eat the whole batch!
I’ve been on a really good streak of exercising 4-5 times a week and eating 90% clean over the last 2 months but I’ve been feeling really burnt out this week, low on energy and the will to exercise. I’ve recently started foraying into the wonderful world of protein and I’ve been experimenting with lots of recipes but protein balls have proven to be the easiest most satisfying yet! Brilliant if you have a really sweet tooth and want something filling and energy boosting. I had 4 for lunch (I was in a rush) and they kept me flying until dinner including a 1 1/2 hour walk!
RECIPE INGREDIENTS(Makes 16):
- 2 scoops/ 30g of Strawberry whey protein
- 1/4 cup/ of oat flour (I process 1/3 cup whole gluten free oats)
- 6 Pitted Dates
- 2 Tbs of coconut flour
- 1 Tbs of cacao(or cocoa) powder
- 1 Tbs of Maca powder
- 1 Tbs of peanut butter
- 1 Tbs of good quality honey
- 1 Tbs of almond flour
- 1.5 Tbs of goji berries & extra for topping
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup/mug of water
- 2 squares of melted dark 70-80% chocolate
1. You’ll need a food processor to start, but this should work in a powerful smoothiemaker too. Break the dates apart on your hands and add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Blend until well combined.
2. Add water 1/4 – 1/3 mugfull will be enough. You want a sticky mixture that doesn’t drip from a spoon. Spread roughly 1cm thin in a container and pop in the freezer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from freezer & melt chocolate in microwave for 2 mins. Take 1 tsp sized scoops of the mixture roll into a small ball in your hands, dip into melted chocolate and set on a plate. Top with an extra goji berry.
4. Repeat & pop in freezer for another 10 mins, then leave to set in the fridge overnight (the hardest part).
You can totally eat them straight away but they are like like french macarons, twice as nice the following day when the honey melts all the ingredients together to make fudgey bitesize deliciousness. It will still work without the fancy health store ingredients but if you want maximum energy benefits I would invest! (Try smaller independent health stores but also available in Holland & Barrett.)
All thats left to do is eat & make! Don’t forget to tweet & instagram me your versions & #Tarmar so I can see them!